The only knowledge requirement to read this book is to know some Rust. It's
hard for me to quantify some but at least I can tell you that you don't need
to fully grok generics but you do need to know how to use closures. You also
need to be familiar with the idioms of the 2018 edition, in particular with
the fact that
extern crate is not necessary in the 2018 edition.
Also, to follow this material you'll need the following hardware:
(Some components are optional but recommended)
- A STM32F3DISCOVERY board.
- OPTIONAL. A 3.3V USB <-> Serial module. This particular model will be used throughout this material but you can use any other model as long as it operates at 3.3V.
(The (Chinese) CH340G module, which you can buy e-commerce sites, works too and it's probably cheaper for you to get)
- OPTIONAL. A HC-05 Bluetooth module (with headers!). A HC-06 would work too.
- Two mini-B USB cables. One is required to make the STM32F3DISCOVERY board work. The other is only required if you have the Serial <-> USB module.
NOTE These are not the USB cables that ship with pretty much every Android phone; those are micro USB cables. Make sure you have the right thing!
- MOSTLY OPTIONAL. 5 female to female, 4 male to female and 1 Male to Male jumper (AKA Dupont) wires. You'll very likely need one female to female to get ITM working. The other wires are only needed if you'll be using the USB <-> Serial and Bluetooth modules.
FAQ: Wait, why do I need this specific hardware?
It makes my life and yours much easier.
The material is much, much more approachable if we don't have to worry about hardware differences. Trust me on this one.
FAQ: Can I follow this material with a different development board?
Maybe? It depends mainly on two things: your previous experience with microcontrollers and/or
whether there already exists a high level crate, like the
f3, for your development board
With a different development board, this text would lose most if not all its beginner friendliness and "easy to follow"-ness, IMO.
If you have a different development board and you don't consider yourself a total beginner, you are better off starting with the quickstart project template.